Debt Collection Officer
N/A, Lagos - N/A
At Lidya, our vision is a future where every great business owner has fair and fast funding to build and grow high impact businesses. To achieve this, we use data-driven finance and technology to help great business owners build high-impact businesses in the fastest growing economies in the world. Lidya currently operates in Nigeria, Poland, and Czech Republic where close to 200,000 businesses have signed up for our service. Lidya is backed by Flourish Ventures, Accion, Bamboo Capital, Alitheia Capital and Newid Capital. Lidya has raised close to $15m USD in venture capital and has teams across Lagos (Nigeria), Prague (Czech Republic), Warsaw (Poland), Porto (Portugal) and New York (USA).
Lidya is run by Tunde Kehinde, the Co-Founder, and former Managing Director of Jumia Nigeria, the largest eCommerce platform in Africa. Jumia is publicly listed company on the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE). Tunde also co-founded Africa Courier Express, the largest direct-to-consumer delivery provider in Nigeria. Tunde attended Harvard Business School for his MBA and graduated with honors with a bachelor’s in business administration from Howard University.
Lidya is expanding its activities. To support our development, we are looking an OWNER. A strategic and experienced Debt Collection Officer that believes in our vision and shares our values. We believe that brilliant people operating in a great culture will produce the best outcome. We operate, hire, develop, and promote people based on our OWNER culture below.
- Ownership: Ownership is taking the initiative to bring about positive results. It means not waiting for others to act andcaring about the outcome as much as an owner of the company would. It is being accountable for the results of your actions -that are of the highest quality and delivered in a timely manner. Taking ownership shows others that they can trust you to do the right thing.
- Win: We understand we will be measured against our results and work every day to show we deliver the metrics and KPIs that demonstrate we offer the best solutions to our customers. This means we have an obligation to the organization in terms of results, and that we have an obligation to act on the items that impact those results. You may have to assemble a team to help bring about results, but ultimately, you must be accountable and own the results of your actions.
- Navigate: We digest data, navigate challenges,and solve problems. We exist to help our customers succeed. Keeping our customers top of mind is the foundation of everything we do. That is why we communicate proactively and frequently with all stakeholders (customers, internal team, and external partners) and we deliver high impact with ethics and integrity, consistently.
- Excellent: We operate with high standards and with rigor. We dive deep into the details to understand the problems of the customer and analyze how we can improve. At Lidya, we do our homework, test rigorously, and the best ideas win.
- Rapid Results: We have a start-up mindset. We must deliver results to our customers faster and more sustainably than any other option they have.
The Debt Collection Officer is responsible for providing support to the organization with particular emphasis on the collection of revenue and management of finance. The position liaises directly with clients, external debt collection partners, negotiate on outstanding payments and where necessary initiates recovery action.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
- Minimizing customer response times by issuing reminder notices and customer statements and monitoring collection of debts in a timely manner.
- Negotiating with clients on arrangements regarding payments and making recommendations to management to ensure Departmental guidelines in relation to installment agreements and the processing of monies received are adhered to.
- Contact debtors by telephone, letter, email or fax, to agree debt recovery plans and follow up as appropriate.
- Reviewing documentation (all aspects of contract) to assess liability, identify contract issues and judge recoverability.
- Using knowledge and initiative to reach amicable solutions to settling debts on behalf of clients, considering circumstances of the case.
- Establish repayment schedules, monitoring repayment of debts, and adherence by debtors to installment schedules.
- Researching debtor companies, assisting in researching laws and procedures to provide written advice to clients.
- Build and manage internal team of 5+ debt recovery professionals to achieve late payment goals and key performance indicators of the Company.
Desired Qualifications and Skillset:
- 5 years+ of experience working with a Commercial Bank, Accounting Firm or Management Consulting Firm, with a particular emphasis on experience in a financial sector.
- High level of IT skills especially in accounting, advanced Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Bachelor's degree in finance, accounting, statistics, mathematics, engineering, computer science, information management, investments, or a related business discipline (MBA, CPA, or CFA is a plus).