Debt Collection Officer
N/A, Lagos - N/A
At Lidya, our vision is a future where every great business owner has fair and fast funding to build and grow high impact businesses. To achieve this, we use data-driven finance and technology to help great business owners build high-impact businesses in the fastest growing economies in the world. Lidya currently operates in Nigeria, Poland, and Czech Republic where close to 200,000 businesses have signed up for our service. Lidya is backed by Flourish Ventures, Accion, Bamboo Capital, Alitheia Capital and Newid Capital. Lidya has raised close to $15m USD in venture capital and has teams across Lagos (Nigeria), Prague (Czech Republic), Warsaw (Poland), Porto (Portugal) and New York (USA).
Lidya is run by Tunde Kehinde, the Co-Founder, and former Managing Director of Jumia Nigeria, the largest eCommerce platform in Africa. Jumia is publicly listed company on the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE). Tunde also co-founded Africa Courier Express, the largest direct-to-consumer delivery provider in Nigeria. Tunde attended Harvard Business School for his MBA and graduated with honors with a bachelor’s in business administration from Howard University.
Lidya is expanding its activities. To support our development, we are looking for a strategic and experienced Debt Collections Officer that believes in our vision and shares our values. We believe that brilliant people operating in a great culture will produce the best outcome. We operate, hire, develop, and promote people based on the values below.
- We are ambitious. We want to be number one. Lidya is for those is for those who always strive for excellence, for those who want to become the best in the world at what they do, for those who would never settle for less.
- We use data to back our decisions. Lidya is for those who dive into the details. Who are always in search of the truth. Who want to understand what the problem is and its root cause.
- We have high standards for our team and our customers. We never compromise on talent. We select, coach, and retain the best talent and give them the support to do their best work. We seek team members who want to delight our customers and offer solutions that help them have high impact and solve their needs.
- We take ownership and we persevere. We seek team members that are determined, skilled, courageous, and work intelligently every day to succeed and be number one.
The Debt Collection Officer is responsible for providing support to the organization with particular emphasis on the collection of revenue and management of finance. The position liaises directly with clients, external debt collection partners, negotiate on outstanding payments and where necessary initiates recovery action.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
- Minimizing customer response times by issuing reminder notices and customer statements and monitoring collection of debts in a timely manner.
- Negotiating with clients on arrangements regarding payments and making recommendations to management to ensure Departmental guidelines in relation to installment agreements and the processing of monies received are adhered to.
- Contact debtors by telephone, letter, email or fax, to agree debt recovery plans and follow up as appropriate.
- Reviewing documentation (all aspects of contract) to assess liability, identify contract issues and judge recoverability.
- Using knowledge and initiative to reach amicable solutions to settling debts on behalf of clients, considering circumstances of the case.
- Establish repayment schedules, monitoring repayment of debts, and adherence by debtors to installment schedules.
- Researching debtor companies, assisting in researching laws and procedures to provide written advice to clients.
- Build and manage internal team of 5+ debt recovery professionals to achieve late payment goals and key performance indicators of the Company.
Desired Qualifications and Skillset:
- 5 years+ of experience working with a Commercial Bank, Accounting Firm or Management Consulting Firm, with a particular emphasis on experience in a financial sector.
- High level of IT skills especially in accounting, advanced Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Bachelor's degree in finance, accounting, statistics, mathematics, engineering, computer science, information management, investments, or a related business discipline (MBA, CPA, or CFA is a plus).